As a melting pot of cultures since 1564, Jacksonville is proud of its vast heritage and the eclectic cultural and artistic community that has thrived in our city for decades. It is easier to be immerse in the culture of the city when exploring our unique blend of festivals, live music, art events, stand-out museums and extensive public arts program, all which make Jacksonville one of the top art cities in Florida.
- Innovative Museums: Jacksonville has some of the most visited museums in the South with exhibits that tell the story of our city and community. MOCA Jax’s Project Atrium is a must-see exhibit featuring an oversized artistic installation that can be enjoyed by everyone at the museum’s lobby. The century old Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens highlights Jacksonville’s history right on the banks of the St. Johns River. This historic institution is a progressive source of art and culture for the city, pushing the limits of social and racial norms with its exhibits and artists.
- Children’s Museums: Art you can touch is a must for families traveling with little ones, and in Jacksonville our top museums have made it a priority to teach children about art in a very fun way! The Museum of Science and History (MOSH) is getting ready to undergo a major renovation to expand is waterfront campus and make way for new interactive exhibits. Tree Hill Nature Center has a hands-on approach where children can interact with animals and the Cummer has an entire wing with art recreations meant to be touched and enjoyed by children. More details: www.visitjacksonville.com/blog/bring-the-kids-on-your-trip-to-jax
- Local Artists: Jacksonville’s artists community has a home at Riverside’s CORK Arts District. This 80,000 square feet warehouse features artists’ studios and galleries. CORK is open to the public during special seasonal events. http://corkartsdistrict.com
- Public Art & Murals: Jacksonville has an extensive public arts program that is evident across Downtown Jacksonville with more than 55 murals decorating historic and modern buildings. Jacksonville is home to the largest mural in the state of Florida and to Art Republic, an art movement that brings some of the top muralists in the world to our city to use it as the canvas for their most innovative creations. https://artrepublicglobal.com
- New Exhibits: Jacksonville’s galleries and museums curate exciting exhibits each season that reflect the state of our city and nation. MOCA Jax has a special exhibit that merges art and healthcare that runs thru December 2019. MOSH will feature “The Legacy of Lynching: Confronting Racial Terror in America” until later this year. More details: www.visitjacksonville.com/things-to-do/culture/museums.
About Visit Jacksonville
Visit Jacksonville is a Destination Marketing Organization accredited by Destinations International and contracted by the Duval County Tourist Development Council (TDC) since 1996 to champion the growth of leisure and business tourism in Jacksonville. For a closer look at all there is to see and do in Jacksonville, go to www.VisitJacksonville.com.