Technology is one of the best ways through which the lives of people become easier. Since the past few years, technology is experiencing a boom. Technology plays a significant role in enhancing and accelerating the improvements in health and quality of life for the whole living population. There are a lot of people in society who suffer from some disabilities. Assistive technologies have been expanding in the fields of items designed exclusively for disabled people. Smart technologies are emerging, and they are opening new portals for developing some powerful tools that are individualized. These tools are evolving to assist disabled people in helping them in fulfilling their needs. They are accommodating as just after teaching the disabled people about their usage; they grasp using these tools quickly. Because of these evolving technologies, people with disabilities will have more resources and more experience with integrated technologies. For people having disabilities, technology can change the most ordinary activities that they find tough into easy. We have a list of 6 best assistive technologies that are essential for people having disabilities. Using these assistive technologies, work will be more accessible and more sorted for the people having disabilities.
- Text-to-Speech Technology: Developed for helping people having print disabilities like dyslexia, visual impairment, blindness, etc., Text-to-Speech helps the disabled people to listen to the things printed on a book. It is an essential tool developed, and its usage is increasing with each passing year. This technology focuses on converting the written text or text on electronic gadgets into speech so that people who can not read can get the privilege of reading. It works by scanning and then reading the words in a robotic voice by using numerous speech sounds that create words in any given context. Disabled people can use this technology at home or if they are outside, strolling on their foldable scooter. Text-to-speech, therefore, is one of the assistive technologies that you should look up to in 2020!
- Graphic Organizers: Graphic Organizer is a type of assistive technology developed especially for disabled people who have trouble arranging their thoughts during writing. Disabled people suffering from Dysgraphia or other writing disorders were the main reason behind the development of this technology. Graphic organizers help disabled people by mapping out a course of action. The graphic organizer assists the writer in describing an object, charting out a sequence of events, or performing a different task, which helps in organizing the piece, depending on the type and style of writing. Varying by technological sophistication and type, Graphic organizers give disabled people to choose what is convenient for them.
- Listening Systems: There are a variety of listening systems developing almost daily for people having problems with hearing like listening disability, deafness, etc. These listening systems are expanding to enhance the reach and effectiveness of hearing issues and disabilities. This technology uses a microscope to bring sound to the ears of the disabled people. The listening system is one of those assistive technological systems which are expanding exponentially after each passing day. Many other features are going to add in this technology, and therefore, you should look out for this technology in 2020.
- Sip-and-Puff Systems: The main reason behind the development of sip-and-puff systems is to assist disabled people that have paralysis and other motor skill problems. In this system, the person who has a disability can control the mobile or other technological applications by his/her mouth. This system is very similar to a joystick, and the disabled person can move the controller in different directions to click on the navigational tools using a puff or a sip. This technology functions to replace the usage of a keyboard or a mouse. Being an easy yet efficient technology, the sip-and-puff system has a long way to go.
- Proofreading Software: Proofreading software is an assistive technology that is not at all like the standard proofreading software. Having a lot of features, it is superior to all the conventional proofreading software existing in the market. This software helps disabled people to work on their English skills of becoming an excellent writer. People who have Dyslexia are the main reason behind the creation of this software. This software is also useful for other disabled people who suffer from any learning disorder, making reading and writing difficult for them. The proofreading software is worth trying as an assistive tool for the year 2020.
- Math Tool: Math Tool is a software specially designed for disabled students who face trouble solving maths. This assistive technology tool can benefit the students having a learning disability called Dyscalculia, people who have blindness, and other motor skill disabilities. It is one of the best assistive technology as it is incredibly user-friendly as the person using it does not take much time to adapt to this assistive technology.
With technology expanding almost every day, according to us, these are the six best assistive technology tools that you should look forward to in the year 2020. These tools are not only changing the lives of disabled people but are also increasing the scope of development in the technological sector.