Military families have a lot to deal with – emotionally, logistically, and financially. What benefits are out there for military families to make life a bit easier for them? Where can they find discounts and deals? Couponfollow.com created a helpful financial guide aimed specifically to help military family members learn about the different resources, federal programs, retail discounts, and deals for dependents of U.S. soldiers.
There’s one key thing to keep in mind, one thing that’s hammered into our brains again and again: Everyone serves. Whether you’re military personnel, retired veterans, or have family members who serve or are veterans themselves, it’s important to remember there are plenty of resources and support groups available. However, beyond a simple breakdown of military family benefits, it’s easy to get lost in military resources and give up on your search before finding what you really are after! For a list of organizations and resources click here.
The wives, husbands, and partners of military members may feel like they’re alone, but that’s far from the truth. Not only are there communities of military spouses ready to network with, but there are more scholarships, business funds, and remote jobs available than ever before! Military spouse benefits and resources include everything from a free library to a military family life counselor to partner associations.For a list of these organizations click here
“Military brats” have a mixed bag of privileges and struggles. The drawbacks are pretty obvious, with a family member going missing for long stretches of time, lots of moving, and needing to switch schools frequently. The benefits of being a military child include having access to educational tools, tutoring, and various kinds of financial help. Luckily, there’s support for military families during deployment, especially for military children. For a list of these organizations click here
Health care can get expensive, especially if someone is treating a spouse with PTSD or a potential brain injury. Luckily, military family benefits tend to cover those sorts of things, but that doesn’t mean the transient lifestyle can’t lead to unforeseen costs, or even sudden wealth. Getting a hold of good military insurance benefits not only helps in emergencies but also can provide resources in times when things are going well. A number of insurance and financial options are available as well as ways money can be drawn on in times of stress. For health care help click here
- Blue Star Museums, Theaters, and Books: Blue Star Families offers complimentary admission to many facilities and free books on bases.
- America the Beautiful Pass: Military members and their dependents can get a free annual pass to all national parks!
- The Commissary: This is a grocery store network specifically for military families. Note that they also have a rewards program.
- U.S. Army Morale, Welfare, and Recreation: Army members can find deals on outdoor recreation, sports, entertainment, and vacations.
- Information, Tickets, and Travel (ITT): Troops can get discounts on leisure travel and vacation packages by looking up military lodging.
- Camaraderie Foundation: Family Fun Days: This organization for returning soldiers offers free family fun days in Orlando, Florida.
- Find a USO: International locations for safe travel, free entertainment, and programs for staying connected can be found through this massive network.
- USAA Travel Deals: If you have USAA as an insurer, you can get access to numerous deals through the company.
- Armed Forces Vacation Club: Eligible members of the U.S. military can get cheap week-long stays and travel deals.
- Military Cruise Deals: This is a site for finding discounted cruises for military families.
- Gameday for Heroes: This is a nonprofit that provides tickets to college sporting events to active military and veterans.
- Chuck E. Cheese’s Military Discount: Military families get a special discount on pizza and games.
- Beaches Resorts: Get 10% off on a vacation getaway with a military discount.
- Disneyland Specially Priced Theme Park Tickets: Military members and their families can get a deal on their Disney tickets! Those on the East Coast can enjoy a discount at Walt Disney World.
- Royal Caribbean Lowered Rates: Planning on going on a cruise? Most cruise companies give military discounts!
- YMCA Membership: Family members are welcome to a special discounted membership at the Y.
- Note that besides buying military family discount flights, you can also travel via train or bus: Amtrak offers 10% off on tickets, or you can get up to 30% off on Greyhound tickets or 15% off on Peter Pan bus tickets.
- United’s Military 5% Discount: For both military members and their families, United has offered a small deal on flights.
- Expedia.com Gold Status: Get a deal on bookings with Expedia.
- Motel 6 10% Discount: Military personnel and their families get lower rates at more than 1,400 Motel 6 locations.
- Super 8 15% Discount: Save a bit more at this massive hotel chain.
- Hilton Honors 10% Military Family Rate: Since it has such a wide network of hotels, the Hilton military family discount can come in quite handy.
- Allegiant Honors Deal: You can qualify for three free checked bags, one free oversized checked bag, a free carry-on, and a free pet in the cabin, among other perks.
- American Airlines Cargo: Military members can ship their pets for 50% off.
- Space-Available Flights: Military members who need to fly may be able to travel for free on a space-available flight.
- American Legion Travel Center: The American Legion offers hotel deals for those who are a member.
- MilitaryFares.com: This site offers airline discounts for military families.
- MilitaryTravel.com: Find military family flight discounts, deals on hotels, rental car discounts, and other travel deals.
- MilitaryToGo.com: This is another site that offers military discount flights for family.
- SEE EVEN MORE DISCOUNTS ON MANY ITEMS HERE