Old Forester Mint Julep Recipe
This Mint Julep recipe comes directly from the Kentucky Derby website. Derby weekend will see over 120,000 of these sold. For those curious, it takes over 1,000 pounds of freshly harvested mint to take care of them all.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Old Forester Straight Bourbon Whisky
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Old Forester Kentucky Whisky.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Important tips- Fresher the mint the better. Crushed ice CANNOT be substituted.