All kinds of distilleries are popping up across the South. Today we will take y’all to 10 that specialize in the making of vodka.
The key to a good vodka: quality water and a good purification process.
- Cathead Distillery – Madison,MS. – Their Honeysuckle Vodka is made with Louisiana sugar cane and honeysuckle extract. Has become quite popular in many cocktails in the South.
- Corsair Distillery – Nashville, TN – Homebrewers turned distillers. Corsair Bros. Vanilla Bean Vodka is made whole bourbon vanilla beans. It won Gold at the 2009 World Beverage Competition..
- Thirteenth Colony– Americus, Ga. – 13th Colony Southern Vodka is a contemporary, Southern inspired vodka that is silky smooth. Filtered slowly through activated charcoal using crystal clear water.
- Tito’s – Austin, Tx.- Probably the most well known name on the list. Started in Austin over 20 years ago, they still use old fashioned pot stills and small batches.
- Old Fourth Distillery – Atlanta, Ga. – Their self-named vodka is made with regionally grown sugar cane and purified 3 times. Took top honors at San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
- Greybeard Distillery – Durham, NC – Home of Bedlam Vodka. Claims to come from a 7 centuries old recipe handed down by monks.
- Firefly Distillery – Charleston, SC – Home of the World’s First Sweet Tea Vodka.
- Jeptha Creed – Louisville, Ky – Made with their own farm grown corn.