For any of y’all that weren’t paying attention, Mother’s Day is May 12. And while we encourage the use of any creative skills you may have to make mom a gift, for those of us creatively challenged, we must shop.
Sure, flowers are cool. But, to me they are kinda like ties on Father’s Day. Meh. So here are 8 book ideas so that mom can escape ( maybe an Audible subscription is a good move also, with these books, for the mom on the go):
- Circe – Considered one of the best fiction books of 2018. This one is for the mom who likes mythology. It also made our Spring Break reads list. With unforgettably vivid characters, mesmerizing language and page-turning suspense, Circe is a triumph of storytelling, an intoxicating epic of family rivalry, palace intrigue, love and loss, as well as a celebration of indomitable female strength in a man’s world. A 2018 New York Times Bestseller for those that enjoy the times of the gods. Madeline Miller is a definitive up and coming author with both this and The Song Of Achilles being NYT Bestsellers.
- I Love Mom, With The Very Hungry Catepillar – Eric Carle brings colorful illustrations and great storytelling in a celebration of Mother’s Day. Perfect for mom or grandma to read with the younger kids.
- First Women – Kate Anderson Bower’s book looks at the First Ladies who drove the men who have run this Country.
- Hung Up: Why You Should Put The Phone Down (and Other Life Advice)– Haley Evans takes a fresh look at how smartphone addiction is affecting our children and us with candid and personal narrative intended to inspire change. The book is short (most can read in an hour) and includes a step-by-step guide for how we can better manage our phone habits. Hear the Yall Show interview here
- Listen To Your Mother – This collection of stories was born from a live event asking women to share their stories about motherhood—now the show happens in more than 20 cities across America. Now author Ann Imig turns those experiences into this anthology.
- The Nest– A NYT Bestseller from Cynthia Sweeney. Follows It follows four grown slightly dysfunctional siblings as they look forward to receiving a family inheritance, which they hope will solve their problems.
- Where The Crawdads Sing – This book from NYT Bestselling author Delia Owens is coming to a theater near you soon thanks to Reese Witherspoon. It follows a woman raised in the North Carolina marshlands looking to travel into the outside world.
- The Friend – This National Book Award winning novel from Sigrid Nunez, looks at a woman who loses a best friend who leaves her with a Great Dane.