90% of Americans surprised to learn of the food holiday’s historic roots
ALEXANDRIA, Va., June 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — It’s time for the sweetest day of the year, National Donut Day is Friday June 7, 2019.
A recent survey* uncovered that 90 percent of Americans do not know that this holiday, celebrated annually on the first Friday in June, is not just another food holiday. National Donut Day was established by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor The Salvation Army Donut Lassies, who served the sweet treats to soldiers on the front lines of World War I.
To honor National Donut Day’s historic roots, Salvation Army staff, volunteers and partners will celebrate with events and donut deliveries nationwide.
“National Donut Day is a reminder of the small acts that can make a big difference,” said Lt. Col. Ward Matthews, national spokesperson for The Salvation Army. “By frying up donuts on the front lines, the Donut Lassies brought a small piece of comfort to soldiers in eastern France. Today, The Salvation Army continues to be a source of relief and assistance to more than 23 million Americans each year.”
To commemorate the work of the Donut Lassies and to demonstrate the impact of a small token of kindness, The Salvation Army will celebrate the day with events and deliveries across the country on June 7. Just a few of the many donut deliveries and events include:
- Donut lover and comedian Angela Kinsey will highlight Donut Day’s historical roots while recreating the original donut recipe in a video on her social media pages. Actress, musician and Instagram influencer Laura Marano will also highlight The Salvation Army’s connection to the day on her Instagram.
- With the help of Entenmann’s, The Salvation Army will be delivering donuts to more than 20,000 veterans from coast to coast.
- To learn more about National Donut Day, visit salvationarmyusa.org/usn/national-donut-day/.
*The survey was conducted online through Google Survey among 500 adults ages 18 and older.
Where To Get Free Donuts
- Dunkin’ Donuts is offering free donut with a beverage
- Hardee’s: Get free Fruit Loops Mini Donuts Friday through Sunday with any purchase and a printable coupon
- Krispy Kreme – No purchase is necessary to get one free doughnut Friday and if Krispy Kreme gives away 1 million free doughnuts, the company says it will reward fans with a second free doughnut offer later in June. Learn more at www.krispykreme.com.
- RaceTrac: All Georgia locations of the Atlanta-based convenience store chain will have doughnuts for 50 cents Friday.
- Walmart: Get one free glazed doughnut at all Walmart stores Friday in the bakery section. Limit one per person, while supplies last. The retailer expects to give away 1.2 million doughnuts.
- And as always check your local bakeries for any specials they may have.