So, with Father’s Day and the 4th quickly approaching we thought we would help you in deciding how to pick that perfect sweet watermelon. Here are 6 steps to do so:
- Symmetry – Look for a consistently shaped melon. And preferably with no cuts or bumps. Misshapen or irregularly formed watermelons are usually a sign of improper sun or water.
- Weight – Pick it up, grab another. The heavier it is the riper it is.
- Field Spot– This isn’t a wives tale. Find that yellow spot. The darker the more time it spent in the sun. If it is white or nonexistent it was picked to soon.
- Color– The darker green the better. Shiny and light usually means it was picked to soon.
- Stripes – There should be dark green stripes with light green in between. The wider the stripe the sweeter the melon.
- Listen to your melons– Give the watermelon a firm grip with your knuckles and listen to the sound it makes. For a ripe melon, you want a full sound, more tenor than bass. An unripe melon will make a dull or deep sound.