I am pretty good around the kitchen y’all. I am more than just a pretty face and the editor of yall.com
Last year for a Thanksgiving get together, I met the challenge of having a friend who suffers from celiac disease. I wanted this friend to enjoy some of the same things we were having. However, I humbly admit, if I ever ate anything gluten free, it wasn’t on purpose. So, I did my research, and honestly, the recipe below turned out to be the best sausage balls I ever made.
So whether you are allergic to gluten or not, y’all give these a try!
- 1 cup gluten free Bisquick (or your fave brand, I just trust Bisquick) mix
- 6 oz. Sausage according to your liking (i.e. mild, hot, sage)
- 2 cups (6 oz.) finely shredded cheddar (sharp or mild)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican Cheese mix (for those who like it hot try shredded Pepperjack)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary (or 1/4 tsp cayenne for those wanting a ‘lil heat)
- 1/2 cup milk – (why these are so moist)
- Heat oven to 350*. Spray a shallow baking pan or dish ( largest you got) with olive oil or pam.
- Throw all of the above ingredients into a bowl and get your hands down in it and start mixing all together. Don’t be shy about getting y’alls hands dirty. Or, this might be a good spot to let the ‘lil ones jump in. DO NOT PANIC! These aren’t traditional sausage balls, so they are gonna be a “‘lil wet”
- Now shape those bad boys into 1″ balls ( or so, ain’t gotta be perfect y’all, your taste buds won’t care). and place in baking pan with a ‘lil space in between.
- Bake UNCOVERED 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. test check a couple with a toothpick test. Insert toothpick and if it comes out clean they are done.
As far as sauces.. ranch if you go spicy works. Ain’t nuthin’ taste bad with a ‘lil BBQ sauce to dip in. No matter what, these bad boys are good all on their own and makes about 60 balls.