Y’all I love firing up the smoker. And smoked bologna when done right is melt in your mouth good.
Things to remember:
- Use Beef bologna
- Get it from your deli in a 2-3 lb chub..not slices
- Remove the wax covering
- Score your meet. start at 1 end and go about 3/4 inch deep then go to the other end and do the same.. so it forms an x -pattern.
- Go heavy on the mustard.
- Don’t work the rub in…be gentle and sprinkle it on
- 1/2 cup mustard for a 3lb. chub
- 1/4 cup BBQ Rub- This one I will leave to the taste buds. If you Some say sweet, some say something with a little kick. My personal favorite is to use a sweet rub with a spicy sauce.
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- Chips or pellets: Cherry or a blend including cherry works best here I think. You could also go with a bourbon barrel style.
- Slather on the mustard all over
- Sprinkle on the rub
- smoke approximately 1 hr. per pound at 250*
- Last 30 minutes hit it all over with a thick coating of sauce.
- Once that sauce carmelizes, you are good to go. Bologna is pre-cooked, so all you are really doing is grabbing that smoky wonderfulness.
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- If you are gonna eat it right off the smoker, cut it thick. Great on crackers with a ‘lil hot sauce.
- If you want to thin slice it, refrigerate it overnight and cut it the next morning. Perfect with a nice big slice of heirloom tomato on a sandwich.