Ahhh, summertime! Warm weather and fresh produce from the garden. However, they don’t exactly play well together. So, how do you keep from throwing that fresh produce out? Try these hacks y’all:
- Greens- Stop the slime! Wrap fresh greens with a towel. OR, line your veggie side of the produce bin in your fridge with paper towels. The more absorbent the better!!
- Avocados- Ripen n the counter. If you aren’t using the whole thing, squeeze a little lemon juice on it and wrap in wax paper.
- Don’t chill your tomatoes.
- Potatoes- Keep your spuds from sprouting by tossing an apple in with them.
- Don’t store apples with anything else but the above. It gives off a gas that will rapidly ripen most other fruits.
- Water your celery- Simply put, store it with a lil water.
- Berries- Cleanse in a 1/3 vinegar/water solution before refrigerating. If freezing see our tips here.
- Store Mushrooms in paper bags to keep them from getting slimy.