by Michelle Joe, Guest Contributor
When we install the fence, it looks super beautiful. As time passes, the fence also starts aging and gets faded due to numerous reasons. It could be the harsh sunlight, dirt, heavy rain. snowfall, etc. Whatever the ground, this leads to loss of original color and finish.
Moreover, it starts shifting its colors towards bad shades of grey. But don’t worry, you can bring back that old fence’s shine and luster by refinishing and redefining it. If you want to have a finished and attractive fence look as before, you do need to pressure wash it first.
Do you know what pressure wash is?
What is Pressure washing?
The Pressure washing is a cleaning method. People confuse it with the power washing method. Both are quite similar, with some exceptions. Power washers use hot water while pressure washers are flexible with water of any temperature.
Both can be used for different removal traits. The pressure washing method works well for cleaning the dirt on the surface. It’s recommended if your fence isn’t much dirty or damaged. But, if the fence is having some severe issues like mold, in-ground dirt, power washing will be the most effective method to opt. Always use the washers as per your fence material, i.e., wood, metal, vinyl, etc.
How to clean a wood fence with a pressure washer?
Firstly, do the necessary preparations before staining the wood. The required minimum pressure for the washer is 2500 PSI to remove any dirt particles effectively. Trust me, it would give an entirely new look to your fence.
- Check whether your fence needs any extra cleaning or not. Many times you have to wash it with a bucket and sponge, so do that if it requires. If your fence has severe dirt or mold, or if it’s facing harsh weather conditions, then it’s the best time to use a pressure washer.
- Now select the best possible nozzle for your pressure washer so each dirt particle could be removed in a gist and not cause any damage.
Use the best fence stains and sealers. The following tips always come in handy:
- Pick some old clothes nearby as a protective gear.
- After doing sponging, give it some ample time to dry itself
- Keep yourself at least 3 ft. away from the fence while spraying.
- Systematically do the entire process from top to bottom with the grain of the wood.
- Make sure to have a firm grip at the ground level because pressure washers have intensity pressure, so you might lose control and don’t get your aims fulfilled precisely.
- Tidy up the entire place after finishing the whole course. You need to get rid of the leftover dirt and debris that is the result of the process.
- Wear protective eyewear always before doing this. A few safety precautions won’t hurt.
- It’s best to use a little amount of bleach to kill excess mold.
- For wooden fences, don’t go for the nozzle or tip of pressure washer less than 25 degrees. At the maximum level, don’t go beyond 40 degrees.
- Don’t use pressure greater than 1800 PSI on any wood fence. It can split into pieces, but the vinyl remains safe with high pressure, so you can apply the same thing on that.
Benefits of Pressure washing the fence
It enhances your home value
A fresh-looking fence through a pressure washer doesn’t look old at all. It seems attractive to the eye, and hence majorly increases your home value. It gives huge potential to the prospective buyers and gives a massive worth to your property.
It improves the health of home inhabitants
It is essential to clean your home’s interior; likewise, regular cleaning of the exterior is necessary as well to avoid health hazards. Mold, fungi, and mildew affect severely to every living being’s health.
It helps the people suffering from allergies
People suffering from chronic allergies should take care of themselves. A cleaner outer space will help people to combat their allergies to some extent.
It’s an environment friendly option
Pressure Washer Market has grown at a percentage of 4.14%during the period 2017-2021. It is one of the best and safest techniques of the entire cleaning process. This is because it doesn’t use hazardous chemicals that are harmful to the environment.
Pressure washing is a tough job. Please do your homework well and research thoroughly before stepping into it. No matter how confident you are, it will require an ample amount of time and energy to do it effectively.
Mark all the pro tips and follow them religiously. Safety first is not just a slogan but a code to live by. That’s why don’t forget to wear your protective gears and maintain a safe distance while you are on your mission. Best of luck!
About Michelle Joe: Michelle Joe is a blogger by choice. She loves to discover the world around her. She likes to share her discoveries, experiences, and express herself through her blogs. You can find her on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook