It was party time for Thomas Rhett and his co-writers on October 9 as they celebrated his No. 1 hit, “Look What Gave Her.” The song was written by Thomas Rhett along with his father Rhett Akins, Julian Bunetta, Josh Ryan, Jacob Kasher and Ammar Malik. Thomas co-produced the song with Dann Huff and Julian Bunetta, so it really was a group effort. It is the first single from Rhett’s fourth studio album, Center Point Road. And how many No. 1 songs have been written by a father and son?! “Look What God Gave Her” was certified Gold by the RIAA for 500,000 units in combined sales and streams. More about Thomas Rhett at https://centerpointroad.thomasrhett.com/
New music this week from Dan + Shay on a collaboration with Justin Bieber titled “10,000 Hours.” Bieber called the song ‘wedding music’ seeing as he just got married, and the song fits well with Dan + Shay who often deliver romantic songs. There’s a lush big-budget music video featuring the three guys serenading their wives, and I got a sneak-peek but was sworn to secrecy before it was released. You can find it at YouTube.
“I Know Country” Q&A from www.IKnowCountry.com
QUESTION: The ‘birthday boy’ for today, October 9th, was the first American Idol winner to have been born in the 1990s. Following Idol, his debut album, Clear As Day, was certified platinum. Who is he?
Chris Stapleton has a big show coming up. It’s not until April 2020, but tickets go on sale to the general public on October 11, and It’s expected that they’ll sell out fast. The special performance will benefit his newly-created Outlaw State of Kind Hometown Fund. It will be held at the University of Kentucky’s Kroger Field in Lexington, Ky., on April 25, 2020. The performance is the first concert ever held at UK’s Kroger Field and will feature very special guests Willie Nelson & Family, Sheryl Crow and Yola. Tickets will go on-sale Friday, October 11 at 10:00am local time. Stapleton Fan Club pre-sales began Tuesday, October 8, so you need to hurry if you want to be there! For more information visit www.stapletonfanclub.com.
- 100% of the concert’s net proceeds will go toward Chris and Morgane Stapleton’s Outlaw State of Kind Hometown Fund. Established in partnership with the Blue Grass Community Foundation, the fund will specifically support local and national organizations directly impacting Kentucky, with initial grant distributions focusing on music and arts education.
- Chris is currently on his All American Road Show tour through the end of 2019 and all those shows are sold out.
“I Know Country” Q&A ANSWER:
Scotty McCreery who was born on October 09, 1993. The debut album included the top 20 Country chart singles, “I Love You This Big” and “The Trouble With Girls.”
- Scotty set a new record in July 2017 with his single “Five More Minutes.” Scotty became the only country music artist in Country Aircheck/Mediabase history to chart a song without the backing of a record label; it topped Billboard’s Country Singles chart in February 2018. He co-wrote the song following the death of his grandfather.
- Scotty married longtime girlfriend Gabi Dugal in June 2018.
- Scotty is one-fourth Puerto Rican, but he does not speak Spanish fluently.
Billboard’s Country Airplay Chart Top 5 for the week of October 07, 2019 (last week’s position in parentheses)
- (2) “I Don’t Know About You” Chris Lane
- (1) “Living” Dierks Bentley
- (6) “Prayed For You” Matt Stell
- (7) “Southbound” Carrie Underwood
- (7) “Love You Too Late” Cole Swindell
On this day in Country Music
Oct. 09, 1955 Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Porter Wagoner, Floyd Cramer, Wanda Jackson and Jimmy Newman began a week-long Louisiana Hayride tour at the Cherry Springs Dance Hall in Cherry Springs, Texas.
Oct. 09, 1973 Elvis and Priscilla Presley were granted a divorce. It was reportedly ‘amicable’ and they emerged from the courthouse arm-in-arm and kissed – before leaving separately.
This week’s Country Music Birthdays
October 08 Ricky Lee Phelps, 1953 (Kentucky Headhunters)
October 09 Scotty McCreery, 1993
October 10 John Prine, 1946
Tanya Tucker, 1958
October 12 Martie Maguire, 1969 (Dixie Chicks)
Preshias Harris is the author of “I Know Country” with 366 daily country music questions and answers. You can buy and instantly download your e-book copy at www.IKnowCountry.com.
Preshias is also a music career development consultant with the emphasis on new and aspiring artists and songwriters. Visit www.collegeofsongology.com for more details. Follow her blog at www.nashvillemusicline.com