The plantings of cherry trees originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship to the People of the United States from the People of Japan. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, or “Sakura,” is an exalted flowering plant.
In 1935, the first Cherry Blossom Festival was held in our Nation’s capital.
The first cherry blossom blooms are a signal of Spring.
Most Cherry Blossom trees in the South do not produce edible fruit. It’s a bit too warm here.
20-30 years is the average life of a cherry tree.
Top Cherry Blossom Festivals:
- National Cherry Blossom Festival- Washington, D.C.
- International Cherry Blossom Festival – Macon, Georgia
- Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival- Nashville, Tn
- Virginia Beach Cherry Blossom Festival- Virginia Beach , Virginia
- Birmingham Cherry Blossom Festival – Birmingham, Alabama