This is a great appetizer recipe. It’s got all the things Southerners love: crawfish, grits, cheese, and bacon! Just on a smaller level!
It’s a little work, but, it will wow your guests at that next party or brunch!
Crawfish and Grits Bites
Servings: 20 2 inch pieces
- 5-1/4 cups 3-14oz cans chicken broth
- 1-1/3 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups 8oz shredded smoked cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 1 lb crawfish tails available in most seafood departments
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Hot sauce can be added to taste
- Spray a 9×13″ baking dish liberally with nonstick spray then set aside. Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan then whisk in grits. Turn heat down to medium then cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally (a splatter screen is useful as grits will bubble and spatter.) Remove from heat then add 1-1/2 cups cheese, butter, salt, and pepper and then stir until smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish then cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until solid, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Run a knife around the outside edges of the baking dish then turn grits out onto a cutting board. Using a 2″ round cookie cutter, cut out rounds then place on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets that have been sprayed with nonstick spray OR use a sharp knife to cut grits into 2″ squares (you will have less waste with this method.) Bake rounds for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown, flipping half way through.
- When rounds have 15 minutes left to bake, crisp bacon in a very large skillet over medium heat. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain then remove all but 2 Tablespoons bacon grease from skillet (add extra virgin olive oil if you need more fat.) Turn heat up slightly then add crawfish tails, green onions, and garlic then season lightly with salt and pepper and saute until crawfish tails are pink and cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Add cooked bacon in then stir to combine.
- Top baked grit rounds with sautéed crawfish mixture then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Turn oven to broil then broil until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.