Does wearing a wig prevent hair growth?
The use of hair wigs is usually attributed – but not limited – to the aspirations related to long and healthy hair. Hair wigs have now become an essential accessory for women of all ages and ethnicities. The oldest accounts of wearing hair wigs in history can be traced back to some religious roots.
Historical Accounts of Hair Wigs
The Jewish were seen as promoting the use of hair wigs for their women to save them from the eyes of men.
These historic narratives show that hair wigs were used by Jewish women to hide the natural beauty of their hair so that they could be saved from the evil gaze of men not related to them.
Slowly the use of hair wigs spread throughout the globe, and they were used mostly because of cosmetic reasons rather than religious ones. The cultivation of the seed of racial discrimination further highlighted the use of hair wigs to bolster women’s confidence. Black women were seen opting for straighter and lighter hair wigs in an attempt to mingle in and not stand out.
However, medically, hair wigs have been a blessing for people going through the onerous treatment of chemotherapy. These patients are presented with options for having hair wigs as the treatment renders them bald. Several other treatments of chronic illnesses also result in thinning of hair, which is why use of hair wigs has grown remarkably in the last decade.
Does it prevent hair growth?
No matter how natural the hair wig is, it still is an additional item attached to your skull and hair. Experts agree that using good quality hair wigs, such as from Fettii Hair wig shop can significantly lower the risk of increasing hair loss.
However, when you opt for a low-quality wig, you end up getting yourself into a turmoil.
Why shouldn’t you wear a low-quality wig?
Wearing hair wigs, especially the synthetic and low-quality ones, are extremely damaging for our hair and scalp. Here is why.
- What happens when we wear a substandard wig is that the sweat produced from the sweat glands – which is ideally supposed to evaporate into the air, is trapped inside. The sweat released by these glands is essential to escape our bodies as it contains bodily toxins. Wearing a wig hinders in its way and does not let it evaporate. This causes damage to the hair and eventually results in increased hair loss.
- Moreover, the sweat released from the sweat glands in our scalp might get mixed with the bacteria and posit severe infection threats. It is also one of the main reasons why wearing wigs result in a vile smelly wig and scalp. If worn for long hours, this deadly mixture of bodily toxins in the sweat and bacteria can result in serious infections leading to hindrance in hair growth.
- Another most important reason why low-quality wigs are claimed to prevent hair growth and promote hair loss is the use of glue or double-sided tape to keep the wig in place. The use of these adhesives is strongly prohibited for longer periods as they block the pores in our skin.
- These adhesives are also said to be damaging for the hair follicles, thus resulting in the poor quality of hair.
- Also, wearing low-quality hair wigs pull our skin and natural hair. This results in extreme headaches if hair wigs are worn for extended hours. Wearing substandard hair wigs can also result in decreased hair health as adhesives for sticking wigs and hair contain high amounts of soluble latex antigen. Due to these high concentrations of latex, some people might suffer from anaphylaxis, which is significantly detrimental for overall health as well as for hair health.
So what to do?
Does all this imply that you should stop wearing hair wigs, even for medical reasons? No, absolutely not! Hair wigs are a great way of changing your style and look at your whim. Hair wigs sure help to bolster confidence in women – it helps them style their hair as they wish.
If not wearing a wig is not an option for you, then do not be sad. If you take good care of your own hair whistle wearing a hair wig for lesser amounts of time, then there is a great chance that you will do no harm to your hair.
Here are some easy pointers for your consideration so that wearing a hair wig does not impact the health of your hair to a great degree.
- Get a quality wig that fits: this is an essential consideration for buying a hair wig. A hair wig that fits is ideal as even a little bit smaller one will be tight and will tug your hair, resulting in damage.
- Breathable wigs: these allow the natural escape of sweat from your scalp or, in other words – these hair wigs let your natural hair breathe.
- A wig cap: it is highly advised to get a wig cap. A silk one is your best shot as silk reduces friction in hair, which is beneficial for preventing hair loss.
- Do not forget your natural hair: this is the key. Even though your natural hair is not visible to anyone while you wear the wig, this doesn’t mean that you should stop looking after them. Shampoo and pat dry your natural hair like you used to and oil them once every week.
- Never sleep in the wig: this is crucial to remember as it is highly damaging for the health of your hair.
- Wig on wet hair: always make sure your hair are dry to the core before wearing a wig. Moist hair trapped under the wig cap will result in hair and skin damage.
Taking care of yourself also includes managing how you look. Wearing hair wigs is a great option for several people who are experiencing hair loss or thinning. However, this does not imply forgetting to pamper your natural hair. Keep the natural hair healthy, and you will have a fantastic experience with the hair wig.