Now y’all, we in the South are known for a good time. Sometimes a better time than we deserve. And, we like to celebrate our uniqueness from time to time. No better time to be unique than kickin’ out the old year and bringin’ in the new one with our own take on the Ball Drop.
New York city can have their ball drop. Us Southerners have taken that tradition and stomped a mudhole in it with our country takes on the tradition.
- Possum Drop – Tallaposa, Georgia- This year features an Eagles cover band, a VIP area, and the renowned Possum Drop, voted Best New Year’s Eve Drop in Georgia. Long story short: Town was formerly known as Possum Snout. Then there was a taxidermist and a dead possum, and the rest is history. Read about it here.
- Key Drop– Frederick, Maryland- In celebration of hometown hero Francis Scott Key, they drop a giant silver key.
- Up The Cup Drop– Savannah, Ga. – Celebrating Savannah’s drinking freedom by raising a cup up, instead of dropping it.
- Pickle Drop – Mount Olive, NC- The New Year’s Eve Pickle descends down the flagpole at the stroke of 7 p.m. midnight – that’s 7 o’clock EST, which also happens to be midnight Greenwich Mean Time. (That way, we are official, we shout Happy New Year! – and we don’t have to stay up until midnight.)
- Flea Drop– Eastover, NC- Why a flea? “The flea is a symbol of our heritage,” says Susan Baggett, event chair. “For a long period, part of Eastover was known as Flea Hill because of a flea infestation that was eradicated many years ago.” While the infestation was eliminated, the nickname stuck.
- Peach Drop– Atlanta, Georgia- Cancelled by Mayor after 30 years
- Note Drop– Nashville, Tn- A full free night of quality music entertainment.
- Pineapple Drop – Sarasota, Fl.
- Flip Flop Drop– Folly Beach, SC
- Moonpie Drop – Mobile, Al. – A 60 year old tradition drops a 600 lb. MoonPie at midnight.